Join The Team
Altion Law is a legal practice based in Furzton Lake, Milton Keynes run by 2 directors. Due to strong business growth we are now seeking a commercial dispute Paralegal to join our team. Altion Law focuses on providing businesses with commercial legal advice and assisting with residential building disputes, as well as having strong practice areas in construction and HMRC regulatory disputes.
Altion Law is now expanding and this role would suit a candidate who is looking to develop into a fee earner with their own caseload but would also like to play a part in strategic business development and growth. The candidate would be a self starter with commercial acumen and a solid background in general commercial litigation. They must be able to demonstrate a current background in commercial litigation and familiarity with court process.
Junior Paralegal Role – Recruiting for start in Q1 2024
Hybrid/Remote Salary range 21k-27k
- Opportunity to join a small but ambitious firm in Milton Keynes. Niche firm with a specialist focus on Commercial Litigation, Construction and HMRC related disputes.
- We are a small firm with modern working practices. We believe a good work life balance is a key part of letting our people deliver high quality legal work. We focus on quality of work and client satisfaction, not demanding you are sat at a specific desk at a specific time.
- Ability to help shape and grow the firm for the future.
- Remote based working in English and Welsh law. At initial start, individual will need to be able to visit Milton Keynes office for training and familiarisation with systems.
- The option to work in the office is available should it be requested, but this is not a requirement as the firm is able to operate remotely.
- Proven 2-3yr working experience as a Commercial Litigation Paralegal,
- Applicable knowledge of discovery of evidence, litigation documentation, court rules and procedures, practices etc
- Highly organised with the ability to juggle multiple deadlines in a fast-paced environment across a number of cases
- Strong writing and communication skills, in order to explain legal matters clearly to clients along with attention to detail
- Strong IT skills in relation to use of Microsoft Office and Adobe as well as familiarity with court filing systems
- Be discrete and have the ability to respect client confidentiality
- Have enthusiasm and willing to learn
- Support up to 3 fee earners on matters across multiple discipline areas
- Support client compliance and file set up processes
- Assist client compliance with support for risk assessments
- Taking calls from clients and taking instructions both by phone and email
- Input, maintain and update information on the case management system
- Review and assess fresh instructions in liaison with the appropriate fee earner and agree / document the appropriate course of action.
- Deal with routine incoming correspondence, drafting replies as appropriate and resolving queries.
- Processing payments from clients and debtors and ensuring financial transactions are dealt with efficiently and in accordance with agreed procedures.
- Carrying out basic research
- Assist with reporting requirements, ensuring that information is up to date and provided promptly as required.
- To monitor diary dates and ensure that deadlines are met.
- Review documentation prior to drafting statements and claims.
- Conduct pre-claim investigation, legal research and initial case assessments
- Compiling bundles for court and counsel – Organize exhibits, documents, evidence, briefs and appendices
- Perform matter administrative duties (calendar hearings and deadlines, organise case files, manage logistics etc)
- Gather relevant information from a variety of sources
- Liaise between court teams and internal/external third parties including obtaining estimates of costs
- Provide assistance with case settlements
- Support for marketing and growth of firm
Areas of work covered by Firm
- Professional negligence
- HMRC disputes and investigations
- HMRC specialist licensing and regulatory requirements
- Director disqualification
- Construction disputes including Adjudication
- Debt recovery
- Consumer law matters
- Dealing with Court matters (not attending)
- Bundle and document preparation
- Instructing counsel and experts
- Negotiating settlements
- Supporting other colleagues within the business as necessary
Key Candidate skills
- Able to manage own caseload
- Works well as part of a team but equally comfortable working on your own initiative
- IT Proficient
- A good knowledge of the SRA requirements
- Strives for high standards in their work
- Taking a logical/commercial approach with matters presented to you
- Ability to manage workload with the ability to meet tight deadlines and prioritise tasks is essential
- Willingness to learn new specialised areas
- A strong communicator able to explain matters in clear, accessible language
- Confidence to be able to ask questions or seek clarification
- Able to build long lasting relationships with clients
- Self-starter looking to develop or advance
- Most importantly – must have common sense and a sense of humour.
25 days annual leave, excluding bank holidays
DoE – Opportunity for future training with Cilex to be paid for
Development and growth opportunities
Annual summer and Christmas events